The top image is of the Sign stating it is 8
miles to Orkney, Shetland 152, Lands End 874,
and New York 3,230 miles. The furthest south
point in Scotland is the Mull of
Galloway, 393 miles southwest of John O
The Inn at John O
Groats is by the small Harbour with views
over the Pentland Firth to the Orkney Isles.
The Inn was built in 1887 as the John O Groats
Hotel. The Building was restored with colourful
extensions added in 2013.
2015 - a large Art Work with Boulders and
curved Steel Planks was erected by the Visitor
Ferry Trips leave from
John O Groats to the Orkney Islands every day
from 1 May to 30 Sept. This Passenger Only
Ferry takes 40 minutes to cross to Orkney with
a Tour Bus waiting on the Island to take you
around the top attractions such as Skara Brae
(Stoneage Village), Scapa Flow
(World War I Battleships), Kirkwall
Barriers, Ring of Brodgar
(Stone Circle), Standing Stones of Stenness, and
Fast Boat Tours
from John O Groats are along the rugged
Car Ferries to Orkney depart from Gills Bay 4 miles west of John
O Groats, and Scrabster 21 miles
The Touring and Camping
Park is close to the Harbour with views
across to Orkney.
The Holiday Lodges
are by the Inn with great sea views.
The Seaview Hotel is half
of a mile south of John O Groats Harbour also
with bunk rooms and pods.
with a Lighthouse and Sea Stacks is 2 miles
east via a single lane road to one of
Scotland's remotest areas. There is also a
from John O Groats, about 5 miles out and
with the Grave of John O Groat is 3 miles
Castle of Mey
is 6 miles west of John O Groats, former
holiday home of the Queen Mother. The Castle is
normally open from 1st May to 30th September.
Best check the Website before visiting. HM
Queen Elizabeth, The Queen Mother, bought the
Castle in 1952.
The Queen Mother died in 2002, leading to
the Castle and Gardens being opened to the
Dunnet Head is 14 miles west of John
O Groats with a Lighthouse and Wildlife
Reserve. This is the most northerly point in
Scotland with great views along the Cliffs.
John O Groats History
500s - a Chapel of St Drostan is said to
have been built at Gills Bay, 4 miles west of
John O Groats.
1496 - King James IV gave permission for a
Dutchman named Jan de Groot to run a Ferry
between the Harbour here and the Orkney