1201 - the Norse Earl of Orkney, Harald
Maddadson, tortured a Bishop at Scrabster
Castle, forcing the Bishop to relocate to
Halkirk 9 miles south.
1472 - King James III of Scotland gained
control of Orkney through a Land Deal with
1544 - the Sinclairs, Earls of Caithness,
gained control of Scrabster Castle.
1726 - Scrabster
Castle was noted as being in Ruin, very
1820 - the first Pier at Scrabster was built
at a time the first Steam Powered Boats began
operating around Scotland.
1834 - Scrabster House was built high above
1841 - the Scrabster Harbour Trust was
formed, leading to the Harbour being used by
Ships from Mainland Ports such as Aberdeen,
Edinburgh, and Glasgow.
1856 - the first known regular Ferry Service
between Scrabster and Stromness was founded by
1862 - Holborn Head Lighthouse was built to
help Guide Ships into Scrabster.
1874 - the Highland Railway reached Thurso,
leading to the Ferries also serving as Royal
1970s - the St Ola Pier was built for Roll
On Roll Off Ferries.
1990s - the Fish Market at Scrabster was
enlarged with Fishing Boats from around Europe
landing their catches.
2002 - the new Queen Elizabeth Quay was
built for the larger Northlink Ferry
that began running between Scrabster and