Inverurie is a Town in the
Aberdeenshire area of Scotland, 17 miles
northwest of Aberdeen, on the road to
the Moray Coast and Inverness, also into Speyside
for the Malt Whisky Distilleries.
Inverurie is popular for its scenic
Town Centre, Garioch
Heritage Centre half of a mile north
of the Town centre, The Bass mound in
Inverurie Cemetery half of a mile south
of the Town centre, Kinkell Church linked
to the Knights Hospitallers 2 miles
south, carved Pictish Stones on the west
side and 5 miles north, Glen Garioch
Distillery 5 miles northeast, and a
number of Walks in
See also a large Click On
Map for the area Top Attractions.
Touring Parks in the area.
The image top is of the War Memorial in the
Centre of Inverurie where the Market Place and
High Street merge.
The second image is of Inverurie Town Hall
at the Market Place, built in 1863, where most
Events are now held, holding up to 500 people.
The Market Place leads half of a mile south
to Inverurie Cemetery. The Mound here is known
as The Bass, built
as part of a Castle from the 1100s. The climb
to the top gives great views.
There was a Chapel here in the 1100s that
was replaced by a Parish Church. That Church
was demolished in 1775. The Graveyard
contains a number of Grave Stones with Pictish
About one and a half miles south of The
Bass, over the Bridge and follow signs, is
built from the 1200s, linked to the Knights
Hospitallers. This Church was rebuilt in
1538, abandoned in 1771. The top attraction at
the Church is a Grave Slab with the carving of
a Knight, thought to be of Gilbert de Greenlaw,
who died at the Battle of
Harlaw in 1411.
The High Street at Inverurie leads from the
Market Place west to the Main Road, Golf Club,
and the Brandsbutt
Stone. The Stone is in the middle of a
Housing Estate, best found by using Google Maps
on your Phone. This Stone has Pictish Symbols
from around the 600s, thought to have been part
of a Stone Circle.
Inverurie Golf Club is
on the west side of the Town, founded in 1923.
The Club has a Bar and Restaurant that also
welcomes Non Golfers.
Stone Circle is about 3 miles west of
Inverurie via a single lane road, then about a
half mile walk from the small Car Park. The
Circle is well sign posted from the Large
Roundabout at the Main Road. This Stone Circle
is said to have been built around 4,000 years
The Maiden Stone is
about 5 miles north of Inverurie, off the Main
A96 Road following Signs. The Maiden Stone is
10 feet high, from about the 700s with Pictish
Symbols, claimed to be a Maiden turned to stone
by the Devil.
2,000 BC - Easter Aquhorthies Stone Circle
was built 3 miles west of where Inverurie is
situated today. This is believed to have been a
time People in Scotland began clearing Trees
300 AD - the Picts had taken control of much
of Scotland, with little known about these
people, apart from the Carved Stones they left
from the 300s to 900s.
1058 - King Malcom III
and his decedents began taking control of all
Scotland. Before this time, Scotland was made
up of many Kingdoms. This was a time of peace,
with the building of huge Abbeys
and Cathedrals around Scotland.
1100s - The Bass of Inverurie was built as a
Fort for Earl David of Huntingdon and Garioch,
a family that became relations of King Robert
the Bruce through marriage.
1200s - Kinkell Church was built 2 miles
south of Inverurie, linked to the Knights
Hospitallers, a Religious Military force
that controlled areas around the World from the
1100s to 1800s.
1286 - King Alexander III died after falling
from his horse. With him not leaving an heir,
the English tried to gain control of Scotland,
leading to the First War of
1308 - the Battle of
Inverurie saw Robert the Bruce lead his
forces to victory over the forces of his rival
John Comyn, with The Bruce using The Bass at
that time. The defeat of the Comyn's allowed
The Bruce to become King of Scotland.
1411 - the Battle of
Harlaw took place just north of Inverurie
between forces of Donald MacDonald, Lord of the
Isles, and forces of Alexander Stewart, Earl of
Mar. This Battle was over control of Land in
Northern Scotland, with the Earl of Mar taking
control of the Land.
1745 - the Battle of
Inverurie took place during the Jacobite
Rebellions. This Battle was between
Jacobite forces led by Lord Lewis Gordon, and
Government forces led by Laird Norman MacLeod,
with the Jacobite's winning the Battle.
1806 - the Aberdeenshire
Canal linked Port Elphinstone at Inverurie
with Aberdeen Harbour. This Canal allowed the
transport of Goods and People between Inverurie
and Aberdeen. Inverurie was built around
Agriculture, with the Canal used to transport
much of its Produce.
1816 - Horse Drawn Coaches began running
between Aberdeen and Inverurie on the new roads
being built at that time, faster than the Canal
Boats, but more expensive for passengers.
1852 - the Inverurie Paper
Mill was opened, at first using Rags, then
Straw, Esparto Grass, then Wood Pulp. This was
a time Education was becoming widespread, and
the first News Papers were being produced
1854 - most of the Canal was drained so a
section of the Aberdeen to Inverness Railway Line
could be built in its place.
1905 - the Inverurie
Locomotive Works was opened on the north
side of Inverurie, in the area named
1969 - the Inverurie Locomotive Works
1970s - the start of the North Sea Oil
Industry led to a number of Oil Service
Companies being based at Inverurie, with many
workers in the Oil Industry living in the
1987 - the Garioch Heritage
Centre opened on the site of the Inverurie
2009 - the Paper Mill at Inverurie
2009 - a Retail Park opened a short walk
east of Inverurie centre, on the east side of
the Railway Station.
Today - Thainstone Mart, on the south side
of Inverurie, is the largest Livestock Market