Grantown on Spey is a Town in the
Speyside area of the Highlands in
Scotland, 16 miles northeast of Aviemore,
33 miles southeast of Inverness, with a number of
Malt Whisky Distilleries in the area to
the north and east.
Grantown on Spey is popular for the
Grantown Museum, Grantown East
Highland Heritage Centre 1 mile
southeast, Craggan Outdoors
1 mile south, Duthil
Old Church 7 miles west for the graves of
Clan Grant, Carrbridge 9 miles west
for the Oldest Stone Bridge in the
Highlands built by the Grants, and
including the Speyside Way.
See also a large Click On
Map for the area Top Attractions.
Touring Parks in the area.
The image top is of Castle Grant 2
miles north. Clan Grant gained land in this
area in the 1300s, with the Town of Old
Grantown growing around their Castle from the
late 1600s. The Grant's began the building of
New Grantown / Grantown on Spey in 1765. Castle
Grant is said to be Haunted by the Ghost of
Lady Barbara Grant. This building has been sold
a number of times recently for Private
ownership, so cannot be visited.
The second image is looking north up the
High Street towards The Square, and Castle
Street beyond The Square.
The War Memorial is in The Square with the
Hotel opposite. This Hotel was built in
1765, with Queen Victoria staying at the Hotel
The Regality Cross is at the top of The
Square. The Original Cross was brought from Old
Grantown to this spot in 1766, one year after
the first buildings were built in Grantown on
Spey. The Original Cross disappeared without
record. The Cross seen today was erected in
2015 to celebrate the 250th anniversary of the
Town being founded.
The Garth Hotel is
situated on Castle Street at the top end of The
Square. This Hotel was originally built in the
1850s as a Coaching Inn.
is situated down Burnfield Avenue, across from
the Garth Hotel. Burnfield House was bought in
1995 to house the Museum, with it opened to the
public in April 1999.
The Museum covers the Town from its founding
in 1765 till today. There are also Temporary
Exhibitions such as Historical, Photography,
The wooden Campanile outside the Museum was
built to house the Grantown Bell
in 2006. This Bell is from the Clock Tower of
the Speyside Orphanage building in The Square.
The Bell was removed from that Building when it
was converted to Flats in the 1980s. The Bell
was used to let people know when important
Events were about to take place.
Grantown on Spey
Golf Club is down past the Museum. This
club was founded in 1890.
Highland Heritage & Cultural Centre is situated
about 1 mile southeast of Grantown on Spey,
next to the main A95 Road that runs from
Grantown on Spey to the Malt Whisky Towns of
Aberlour, Dufftown, Rothes, and Keith.
Grantown East is a former Railway Station
that operated from 1863 to 1968. The Centre
opened in 2018 covering the History of the
Speyside Line, Kilt Making, Making of Grantown
East Tartan, Highland Games, and Clydesdale
Horses. There is also a Gift Shop, Rail
Carriage Restaurant, and Miniature Railway.
Grantown on Spey History
1300s - Clan Grant gained land in this area
for their support of Robert the Bruce.
1536 - Ballo Castle was built in this area
for an unknown family.
1694 - the Grants gained control of Ballo
Castle, with the name soon changing to Castle
Grant. The Town of Old Grantown grew by the
1700s - the Grants supported the Government
during the Jacobite
1700s mid - extensions by John Adam were
built around Castle Grant, with Queen Victoria
stating it looked like a factory.
1765 - the Grant's began the building of New
Grantown, 2 miles south of Castle Grant, then
forced the people of Old Grantown to relocate
to New Grantown, or just Grantown.
1824 - Balmenach Distillery opened.
1863 - the Railway reached Grantown leading
to an increase in visitors and many Hotels
The Railway also led to growth in the Town
with Candle Making, Wool, and a Brewery.
1890 - Grantown on Spey Golf Club was
1898 - the Council re-named the Town -
Grantown on Spey.
1965 - the Railway at Grantown on Spey
1993 - Balmenach Distillery closed.
2018 - Grantown East
Railway Station re-opened as a Heritage &
Cultural Centre. This line used to run between
of Garten and Dufftown, calling at Nethy
Bridge, Broomhill, Grantown on Spey,
Ballindalloch, Aberlour, and Craigellachie.
Some of the old Railway Stations in these
towns have been converted for use in business.
Aberlour Station is now a Cafe and Visitor