Dunkeld is a small Town 14 miles northwest
just off the main A9 road.
The Town is popular for Dunkeld
Cathedral with a Museum, The Old Square
with the Atholl Fountain, Hand Made Pottery Shop, Golf, Fishing, 1
mile Riverside Walk to Birnam and many
more Walks. Highland Offroad is
just outside the town, the Hermitage
with its tall trees and waterfalls one mile
northwest, the Loch of the
Lowes Wildlife Centre 2 miles northeast,
Safaris 20 miles west.
Click on Map for area Attractions
Camping & Touring Parks in
The image top is from the 1 mile riverside
path to the village of Birnam looking across the River
Tay to Dunkeld Bridge and Dunkeld. This path
takes you to the ancient Birnam Oak and other
large trees, and to the Beatrix Potter Gardens
The image second top is looking down Atholl
Street. Third top is of The Square with the
Atholl Memorial Fountain, centre of
Dunkeld Cathedral is situated by The
Square on the banks of the River Tay, a real
peaceful area. The Cathedral has a small Museum
giving the history of the Cathedral and
Dunkeld House Hotel is situated at the North
end of the Town in a country estate. This is
one of the most impressive country hotels in
the area with a popular riverside walk.
Going Potty is
in Dunkeld centre on Cathedral Street with a
range of Hand Painted Pottery. You can even
paint Pottery for yourself.
Offroad is on the outskirts of the Town
with Quad Bikes, Off Road Driving, and Clay
village 1 mile south with the ancient Birnam
Oak and Beatrix Potter Gardens.
include riverside and into the hills.
Dunkeld and Birnam
Golf Club is situated about 1 mile
northeast of Dunkeld, a parks course that
around Dunkeld are on the Rivers Tay and Tummel
for Salmon and Trout.
The Hermitage is situated
about 1 mile northwest with a woodland walk
through some of the tallest trees in the UK out
to waterfalls with an impressive viewing
platform named Ossian's Hall.
The Loch of the
Lowes is 2 miles northeast with a Visitor
Centre that allows you to view Red Squirrel,
Osprey, Beaver, Wildfoul, and Deer. Check the
website for the best time of year for certain
Safaris are 20 miles west with a wide range
of activities such as Mountain Safaris in a
4x4, Off Road Driving, Boat Trips, Biking,
Walking, Red Deer Centre, Gold Panning and
Pre 500s - tribal Picts controlled the area
with Scotland divided into a number of
500s - Saint Columba visited Dunkeld,
leading to a small Church being built in his
800s - a larger Monastery was built.
1040 - Macbeth became King of this area of
Scotland, and tried to take control of all
Macbeth was made famous by the William
Shakespeare play Macbeth, set in and
around the area of Dunkeld and Perth.
1057 - Macbeth was killed in Battle by the
forces of Malcolm Canmore, who became King
Malcolm III and
his descendants took control of all Scotland,
funding the building of large Abbeys and
Cathedrals so loyal Christian communities could
evolve around them.
1300s - the building of Dunkeld Cathedral
began using stone from the earlier Church.
1400s - Dunkeld Cathedral was completed.
1560 - Dunkeld Cathedral was damaged during
the Reformation, as Scots were forced to
convert from Catholic to Protestant.
1684 - Dunkeld House was built for Sir
William Bruce, 1st Marquis of Atholl, close to
1688 November - King James, accused of being
a Catholic with close ties to France, was
deposed by his daughter Mary and her husband
William of Orange, leading to Scots Jacobite's fighting to have King
James restored to the Throne.
The Scottish Highlands and area around
Dunkeld had a large number of Jacobite's
fighting to have James returned to the
1689 July - the Battle of Killiecrankie, 16 miles north of
Dunkeld, saw the Jacobite's defeat troops of
1689 August - the Battle of Dunkeld saw the
Jacobite's defeated by troops of King William,
leading to the Town of Dunkeld being destroyed.
Much of the Battle took place around Dunkeld
Cathedral, with musket ball holes still visible
on the Cathedral east gable today. King James
was forced to live in exile in France.
Further Jacobite risings took place, but all
ended in defeat.
1700s - the centre of Dunkeld was re-built
with many of those buildings still visible
1700s - Dunkeld is a top shoe making town
supplying most of Scotland and exporting to the
Continent. Linen was also made from Flax Plants
crown locally and spun in Dunkeld houses.
1757 - The Hermitage was built in
woodlands 1 mile northwest of Dunkeld for the
Dukes of Atholl. A viewing platform was built
by the waterfalls and Douglas Fir trees
planted, becoming some of the highest trees in
1757 - the Ell Shop is built in the Market
Square, said to be on the site of the town's
medieval hospital, dedicated to St George.
1809 - the Dunkeld Bridge was built over the
River Tay by Thomas Telford. Before this time,
Drovers could hire a local swimming cow to lead
their cattle across the river.
The bridge was funded by the 4th Duke of
Atholl who set a toll to re-coupe his
1822 - Highland Games were held at Dunkeld,
claimed to be the first in the world.
1827 - Dunkeld House was demolished.
1856 - the Railway reached Birnam and
1800s mid - Queen Victoria visited Dunkeld a
number of times, staying with her friend the
Duchess of Atholl.
1866 - the Atholl Memorial Fountain was
built in honour of George Murray, 6th Duke of
1879 - Dunkeld locals began rioting at the
toll gates on Dunkeld Bridge, claiming the Duke
had by then recouped his money. The toll gates
were dismantled soon after.
1892 - Dunkeld Golf
Club was founded 1 mile northeast of
1900 - the new Dunkeld House was completed
for John Stewart Murray, 7th Duke of Atholl, on
the north side of Dunkeld, in a country
1930s late - Dunkeld House was sold to be
converted to the Dunkeld House