The image top is looking down the Main
Street / George Street. The Town feels much
larger than it is, due to the width of the Main
Street. It is surprising there are no Hotels in
the Town, just the one Cafe / Diner and one
The image second top shows the Town House
St Martin's and St Ninian's Roman Catholic
Church is also on the Main Street, there seems
to be no information on when this Church was
The Whithorn Story
Visitor Centre is also on the Main Street.
The Centre displays Artifacts and a Simulated
Archaeological Dig, depicting the creation of
the Town, its Church and visiting Pilgrims.
Whithorn Memorial is in the centre of the
Main Street, in front of the Steeple.
The Arch on Main Street leeds to Bruce
Street, the Museum and
Whithorn Priory. The Museum holds a number of
large Christian Stones, some of the oldest
Christian Stones in Scotland, including the
Latinus Stone – Scotland’s earliest Christian
The Priory complex consists of the Priory
remains on the left, new Parish Church from
1822 in the centre, and the ancient Crypt on
the right. See the Whithorn
Priory Page for more information.
The Nave and Crypt at the Priory can be
explored, with the Crypt being the oldest
An Excavation in 1957 led to the discovery
of Bishops Tombs containing Jewellery. This
Jewellery is now held in the National Museum of Scotland in
Edinburgh, it is at times loaned to the
Whithorn Museum, normaly in summer.
St Ninian's Cave car park is about 3
miles west, with a 1 mile walk from the car
park to the Cave. The Cave is one of the Top
Attractions in the Area, not to be missed,
where some of the Stones in the Museum were
Rispain Camp is 1 mile west of
Whithorn with the car park at Rispain Farm.
This is the remains of a fairly large Iron Age
Fort with a deep Ditch all around.