There is a large car park next to the
Visitor Centre with a large Cafe and Gift Shop.
There is also the Stables Cafe in the Grounds
that are open at busy times of the year, and a
Kids Play a short walk from the Visitor
Threave Gardens are divided up into a number
of areas with a Map available that guides you
round and gives information on each
The Gardens give an insight into just how
much Money and Time went into designing them
with Plants and Trees imported from around the
World by Early Explorers, no expense
The Sculpture Garden is the most impressive
section, in front of the Mansion House.
Threave House was completed in 1873 for
William Gordon, a Liverpool businessman. The
impressive Stables were completed in 1872.
The House, Gardens and vast Estate were
donated to the National Trust for Scotland by
Major Alan F. Gordon in 1948.
Guided Tours are available certain days
throughout the Summer, and it can be booked for
Weddings and Functions.
The Secrete Gardens are next to the
Sculpture Gardens, and Pond next them.
The large Walled Garden is still used to
grow Vegetable and Fruit. These High Walls kept
the cold winds out and Heat in, creating ideal
growing conditions for much of the year.
Most other estates have converted their
Walled Gardens into scenic Show Gardens, so is
good to see one that is still used as
Next to the Walled Garden and Visitor Centre
are large Pots built up of many small pieces of
The Lands of the Estate are huge covering
the area around Threave Castle 2 miles north
and the scenic Loch Ken 8 miles north.
Loch Ken is popular for Holiday Parks and