South Queensferry is a Town in central
Scotland, 9 miles west of Edinburgh, 44
miles east of Glasgow. Regular Buses and Trains run
between Queensferry and Edinburgh, up to four
South Queensferry is popular for its views
of the three Forth Bridges, Boat Trips to
Inchcolm Island with an Abbey, and
visits to Hopetoun House, largest Mansion in
Scotland three miles west.
Click On Map for area Attractions
Touring Parks in area
The image top is of looking west along the
High Street with the Jubilee Clock Tower built
in 1720, where the Tolbooth / Jail from the
1630s once stood.
The Priory Church
is at the west end of the High Street, built
Behind the Priory Church is a large Car Park
with a seating area where you can view the
three Forth Bridges.
The area behind the Church is known as The
Binks, where the original Ferry from the 1000s
The first Ferry was funded by Queen Margaret
to allow Pilgrims to visit Dunfermline Abbey on the north side
of the Forth.
The Village on the south side here was known
as Queensferry, and the Village on the other
side North Queensferry.
The Marina and small Beach are down off the
middle of the High Street, scenic spots to
relax and view the Bridges.
At the east end of the High Street is the
Forth Rail Bridge completed in 1890.
There are regular Boat Trips from the Rail
Bridge to view the Bridges, Seals, Inchcolm
Island and Abbey. You can stay on the Boat or
get off to explore Inchcolm Island.
Boat Trips .
Hopetoun House is 3
miles west of Queensferry, open for visits
throughout the Summer, group bookings in
Winter. Local Taxi.
This is the largest Mansion in Scotland,
built from 1699.
The Firth of Forth is about 5 miles wide at
the mouth by Edinburgh.
The Queensferry area is the first narrow
point at about one and a half miles wide.
1000s - the first Ferry service begins
between Queensferry and North
The Towns here were named after Queen
Margaret, wife of King Malcolm III.
Queen Margaret began the first Ferry service
so people could visit Dunfermline Abbey on the
north side of the Forth.
The Ferries saved traveling 27 miles
northwest to Stirling to cross the River by
1633, the ship Blessing of Burntisland sank
off Queensferry while carrying Charles I’s
Treasure, valued at over £1 Billion in today's
money. The Treasure has never been
1699 - building of Hopetoun House begins 2
miles south of Queensferry for the Hopes.
1850s - first of the Steam Powered Ferries
begin operating across the Firth of Forth.
1890 - the Forth Rail Bridge is completed as
the largest of its kind at that time.
1914 - 1918 during WWI, many huge British
Warships are anchored here Image.
1939 - 1945 - during WWII, the first German
Air Attack was on Shipyards by the Forth
Bridge, with Bombs narrowly missing the
1918 - the 20,000 ton Aircraft Carrier
Campania was an aging Liner converted to an
Aircraft Carrier during WWI.
1934 - the Ferry Robert the Bruce begins
operating between the two Towns.
1964 - the last Ferry ran between the two
1964 - one day after the last ferry, the
Forth Road Bridge was opened by Queen Elizabeth
2003 - some of the many thousands of small
Cables wound together to hold up the Road
Bridge are monitored snapping inside the
protective steel cover.
The Road Bridge is then regarded as not
strong enough for the ever increasing traffic,
and often closed during strong winds.
2011 - the building of the second Forth Road
2017 - the second Road Bridge is completed
under the name Queensferry Crossing.
The new Bridge was designed to cope with the
high volume of traffic and high winds, although
as soon as it opened, rush hour traffic was
leading to long tail backs.