North Queensferry is a Village in
Scotland 14 miles northwest of Edinburgh, across the Firth of
Forth from South Queensferry. The village
is popular for its Bridges, St James
Chapel, and Deep Sea World.
See also a large Click On
Map for the area Top Attractions.
The image top is of North Queensferry from a
Boat Trip that departs from South
Queensferry to the Three Bridges
and Inchcolm Island with an Abbey.
The Rail Bridge was completed in 1889, First
Road Bridge in 1964, and Second Road Bridge in
2017. The ferry service between South and North
Queensferry ended after the first road bridge
was completed in 1964.
The third image shows the slip area below
the Forth Rail Bridge where the Ferries would
The fourth image shows the Albert Hotel and
fifth the Wee Restaurant.
The War Memorial is in the Village centre at
the top of the Main Street.
St James Chapel is in the Village centre on
Chapel Place, with the earliest parts of the
Chapel from the 1300s.
Deep Sea World
is on the east side of the Village with a large
car park for the many visitors. There is a long
glass tunnel that allows you to see the fish
and sharks up close. You can also book a dive
with the sharks.
North Queensferry History
1068 - Saint Margaret visited Scotland where
she met and married King Malcolm III of
Scotland. She used the crossing when traveling
between Edinburgh Castle and Dunfermline, with
Dunfermline the capitol of Scotland
at that time with its historic Abbey
Church, burial place of King Robert the
Margaret helped establish the villages North
and South Queensferry so there would be a
regular ferry for pilgrims traveling north to
Dunfermline and St Andrews, two of the top
religious centre's of the time.
1300s - St James Chapel was built in the
Village centre, said to be for King Robert the
Bruce around 1320-23.
1651 - Oliver Cromwell's Government forces
took control of the area as they defeated the
Scots fighting for the Royals during the
English Civil War. St James Chapel is said to
have been destroyed by Cromwell's men around
1700s - St James Chapel was used as a
Cemetery for members of the North Queensferry
1813 - the Village Pier was completed.
1817 - the harbour Light Tower was
1828 - the Village Pier was extended by
Thomas Telford to allow larger steam powered
ferries to be operated on the crossing.
1889 - the Forth Rail Bridge was completed
with much of the stone for the foundations
taken from Battery Quarry at North
1964 - the First Road Bridge was completed,
leading to the end of the Ferries.
1993 - Deep Sea World opened on the east
side of the village at the disused Battery
Quarry below the Forth Rail Bridge.
2017 - the Second Road Bridge was completed
as the first bridge could not cope with the
Some of the many steel strands making up the
huge steel cables the First Road Bridge was
hanging on, were starting to decay and snap. It
is unclear how long that bridge may last. The
bridge is monitored with sensors so they know
how many steel strands are snapping.