The image top is of Kirkcudbright Bridge
built in 1926 over the River Dee.
The Harbour is by the Bridge with a number
Fishing Vessels operating, and the Marina is a
short distance south of the Harbour for
Pleasure Vessels. Kirkcudbright Bay is about 4
miles long, leading into the Solway Firth and
The Visitor Centre is at the large car park
by the Harbour, with a Wooden Statue of a
Mother and Child of Lost Ones at Sea, created
by local artist Charlie Easterfield in
There have been two Fishing Tragedies from
the Town, the Mhari-L Trawler lost with all 5
hands in 1995, and the Solway Harvester lost
with all 7 hands in 2000.
The colourfull Bathing Huts and Metal
Sculptures are also at the Harbour.
Gallery is next to the Harbour, established
in 1957. The Cottage appeared in two scenes in
the 1973 horror film The Wicker Man
starring Edward Woodward, Britt Ekland, and
Christopher Lee. Some other parts of the Town
featured in the Film, and a number of other
locations in the area.
The image right is looking down St Cuthbert
Street by the Harbour towards MacLellan's Castle. This is a 1500s
Castle built for the MacLellan family. The
impressive War Memorial is in front of the
The Castle remains were taken over by
Historic Scotland in 1912 to serve as a Tourist
Broughton House is around from the
rear of the Castle on the L shaped High Street.
This is a 1700s Town House, home of the
Scottish artist E. A. Hornel from 1901 till he
died in 1933.
The House has been run as a Tourist
Attraction by the National Trust for Scotland
since 1950 with Period Rooms, Art Gallery, and
Japanese influenced Gardens.
The Marina at
Kirkcudbright is a short walk south of the
Harbour, at the rear of Broughton House.
Kirkcudbright Bay is about 4 miles long,
creating a scenic and normally calm area for
The Masonic Arms is
on Castle Street by the Castle, serving drinks
The Tolbooth Art
Centre is on the corner of the L shaped
High Street, in a building from 1629,
originally used as a Prison.
The Centre tells the story in a short Film
of the many Artists to visit the Town, and
holds the Council’s Painting collection with
works by S.J. Peploe, Charles Oppenheimer,
Jessie M. King, Lena Alexander, Robert Sivell
The Clock on the east side, as seen right,
is not in the centre of the building. The Old
Town used to have a Wall around and Large Gate
at the top of the High Street, so the Town
could be locked each night at 1800, protection
Buildings on the High Street partially
covered the Tolbooth, so the Clock was placed
where it could be seen from the High Street
The Old Town Jail and Court is also on the
High Street close to the Tolbooth. This
Building was completed in 1814. In 2016, the
Old Town Jail was sold to be converted to Flats
The Selkirk Arms Hotel is
on the High Street with a 17 Rooms, Restaurant
and Bar with Bistro.
Museum is on St Mary Street. The Museum
opened in 1893 covering the Human and Natural
History of the Area. Also included are Family
History information services, Photographic,
Archive collections, and a Shop.
The Kirkcudbright Parish Church is also on
St Mary Street, built in 1838. This is the
largest Church in the Town with a scenic Park
on its north side.
Kirkcudbright Town Hall is also on St Mary
Street, completed in 1879. The hall hosts a
number of Art Exhibitions throughout the year,
it was converted in 2017 to make it suitable
for more Art displays.
The Kirkcudbright Outdoor Bowling Green is
next to the Town Hall.
St Mary Street is now the main street
running through the Town from north to south,
much wider than other streets in the older part
of Town such as the High Street and Castle
600s? - the first Church is built in the
area in honour of St Cuthbert who
is thought to have visited the area in the
600s. The comunity grew around the Church and
875 - Monks of the Holy Island of Lindisfarne had
to flee during raids by the Norse, taking with
them the bones of St Cuthbert. One of the
places they sought sanctuary was