Killantringan Lighthouse is situated in
southwest Scotland, 10 miles southwest of
Stranraer, 4 miles north of Portpatrick.
The lighthouse was completed in 1900 to
designs of David Alan Stevenson, to help
shipping navigate the North Channel of the
As well as a light flashing every 30
seconds, the lighthouse was fitted with a
powerful fog horn.
1987 - the fog horn was decommissioned.
1988 - the light was automated.
2005 - the General Lighthouse Authority took
the decision to stop operating the light at
2007 - the light was donated for use abroad.
The building was sold at that time to serve as
The image second top is from Killantringan
Lighthouse showing the coastal path south
towards Portpatrick, 5 miles in distance. This
is part of the Southern Upland
Way. Walk Guide.
The image bottom shows the vast
Killantringan Bay with its long sandy beach on
the north side of the lighthouse.