Jedburgh is a town in the Borders
region in southeast Scotland, 48 miles
south of Edinburgh.
Jedburgh is popular for its large
Abbey, Castle Jail Museum, and Mary Queen of Scots
Visitor Centre. Close by
are Harestanes Countryside Visitor
Centre 4 miles north, Waterloo
Monument walk from Harestanes,
House and Gardens by Harestanes, and a
high point at the Border with England
Bar 10 miles south, not to be
Large Click On Map for the area Towns and
Touring Parks in the area.
The images top are of Jedburgh Parish Church
and Jedburgh Abbey on the south side of the
Town centre where there is a large car park and
cafe. The Church was built in 1875.
Abbey was built from the 1100s for King
David I. The Abbey was damaged and had to be
rebuilt a few times during Wars with England
from the 1200s to 1500s. The Protestant
Reformation of 1560 ended Catholic worship in
Scotland, leading to the Abbey being run down
with some stone taken for local buildings.
Part of the Abbey was used as a Protestant
Church until it became unsafe in the 1870s. The
new Parish Church was built just across the
road in 1875.
Hall is situated next to the Abbey with a
large car park behind. The Hall was built in
1900 with a new Information Centre added in
A short walk up Abbey Place takes you to
Jedburgh Market Square where the Market Cross
once stood. This is where the Cattle Market was
held for centuries, and where the annual
Hand Ba game
still takes place today.
The original Market Cross was replaced by
the Jubilee Fountain in 1899 with a column
topped by the figure of a unicorn holding the
Burgh coat of arms.
The High Street runs north downhill from the
Market Cross with the most notable building
being the Spread Eagle Hotel built in the late
1700s, on the site of an earlier Inn that Mary
Queen of Scots visited in 1566.
Mary Queen of Scots Visitor
Centre is situated on Queen Street, that runs
parallel with the High Street. This House was
built in the early 1500s. Mary Queen of Scots
lived in the house for a few weeks in 1566 to
preside over a Circuit Court in Jedburgh. The
house was converted to a museum in 1930.
The Base of an Old Cross, said to be 1,300
years old, is in the scenic garden of Mary
Queen of Scots House. The Stone was the base of
a large Christian High Cross at the Bongate
area of Jedburgh. The Stone was moved to the
Market Square in the 1850s, to Hartage House
Gardens some time later, then to the Mary Queen
of Scots House Gardens in the 1960s after
Hartage House was demolished.
The Newgate Clock Tower and Courthouse
overlook the Market Square. The Clock Tower was
built in the late 1700s, and Courthouse in 1812
to replace an earlier Court House. The Clock
Tower has windowless cells for condemned
prisoners, now also a modern Bistro.
Jedburgh Castle is situated
about 400 yards up the steep Castle Gate road
from the Market Square. Number 9 House
on Castle Gate is where Prince Charlie stayed
in 1745 during the Jacobite
The original Castle was built in the 1100s
and demolished in 1409 to prevent the English
from using it. The Castle seen today was built
from 1820 to serve as a prison. The Castle was
opened to the public as the Jedburgh Castle
Jail and Museum in 1968.
Jedburgh Golf Club is
situated 1 mile southeast of the Town centre
with good views over the Town, up Castle Gate
past the Castle. The Club was founded in
Jedburgh Interesting History
Jedburgh was destroyed or controlled by the
English during many Wars between Scotland and
England from the 1200s Wars of Scottish Independence
to the 1500s when Henry VIII of England began
raiding Scotland in an attempt to have the
infant Mary Queen of Scots mary his young son,
known as the Rough
Jedburgh grew around the Wool Industry and