The image top is from the Drive round to the
Hotel passing the Duck Pond.
The large Hotel is impressive, completed in
1924 for the Caledonian Railway Company.
The Railway had reached Gleneagles in 1856,
allowing a vast increase in tourists to the
area. The Railways then began building Golf
Resorts to capitalize on the Tourists.
Other top Golf Courses built by the Railways
are Silloth on Solway in
1892, Cruden Bay in 1899,
and Turnberry 1906.
The Kings and Queens Courses opened at
Gleneagles in 1919, 5 years before the Hotel
The Wee Course was opened in 1928,
lengthened in 1974 and renamed Princes, now
known as the PGA National Academy Course.
The Glendevon opened in 1980, with this
Course used to build the Monarch Course in
1993, designed by Jack Nicklaus as the longest
inland Course in Scotland at 7,300 yards.