1716 - Stuart fled to France where he lived
in exile, ending that Rising.
1729 - 1742 - General Wade built a Fort here
named Fort Augustus, after Prince William
Augustus, who later became Duke of
Cumberland. The Duke was known for his
brutal treatment of Highlanders during the last
The Village that grew around the Fort took
on the name Fort Augustus.
Many Forts, Military Roads, and Bridges were
built throughout Scotland at that time to try
and prevent any more Jacobite Risings.
1746 March - Fort Augustus was captured by
the Jacobite's during the Third Rising.
1746 April - advancing Government Troops led
to the Jacobite's moving north to Inverness
where the Battle of Culloden took place
in that moth, last Jacobite battle, ending with
the Jacobite's defeated by Government
1822 - the Caledonian
Canal was completed, linking Fort William
and Inverness with 60 miles / 97 km of
1867 - the Fort was sold to the Lovat
1876 - the land with the remains of the Fort
were used to build the Benedictine, Fort
Augustus Abbey. A School was opened at the
Abbey some time later.
1993 - the School at Fort Augustus Abbey was
1994 - the Abbey was used as a Heritage
Centre in an attempt to fund its upkeep.
1998 - the Monks abandoned the Abbey with
the Lovat family selling it to Terry
2000s - Fort Augustus Abbey was converted to
apartments, some of which can be rented for
2018 - the Caledonian Canal Centre was moved
to a new building in the Village centre.
Today - the Village has a large car park on
its northwest side that holds many cars and
tour buses. Although Boat Tours have been
popular for years, fast RIBs have now began
operating, allowing more adventurous tours of