1562 - Mary, Queen of Scots visited Edzell
Castle when she was on a Royal progress. Mary
was touring many landowners at that time to
gain their support as she set about dealing
with George Gordon, 5th Earl of Huntly, who had
been rebelling against her.
1580 & 1589 - King James VI, son of
Mary, visited Edzell Castle.
1604 - Edzell Castle Gardens were designed
with symbols of England, Scotland and Ireland,
after James VI gained the English throne after
the death of his cousin, Elizabeth I.
1610 - Sir David died
in debt due to the cost of building of the
gardens and extending the castle.
1651 - during the English Civil War, forces
of Oliver Cromwell took control of Edzell
Castle for about one month. Many Scots had
supported the Royals during the conflict,
resulting in the Parliamentarians led by
Cromwell invading Scotland.
1715 - Edzell Castle was in a run down state
when the 1715 Jacobite Rising began. David
Lindsay, Lord of Edzell, was a Jacobite
supporter of James Stuart.
David Lindsay then sold the castle to the
4th Earl of Panmure, a fellow Jacobite.
The Crown then took Edzell Castle and Lands
off Lord Panmure, as they did most landowners
that supported the Jacobite's.
Instead of awarding the Castle and Land to
other Clans that supported the Crown, as
normally happened before, the Crown sold the
Estate to the York Buildings Company, who sold
off anything they could to make money.
1746 - the Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders
were based at Edzell Castle to help prevent
more Jacobite Risings.
1764 - the York Buildings Company was
declared bankrupt, leading to the remaining
contents of the castle and roofs sold to pay
the company's debt.
The property was then sold to William Maule,
1782 - William Maule died, leading to the
property passing to his nephew, George Ramsay,
8th Earl of Dalhousie.
1800s - the Earl of Panmure began the
construction of a new village under 1 mile east
of Edzell Castle under the name Slateford.
1815 - the new Parish Church was built in
Slateford, with the name of the Village changed
to Edzell around that time.
1861 - Queen Victoria and Prince Albert
visited Edzell as part of their their travels
through Angus and Kincardineshire.
1889 - the Dalhousie Arch was built at the
south entrance to Edzell to commemorate the
deaths of the Earl and Countess of
1895 - Edzell Golf Club was founded.
1896 - the railway reached Edzell.
1898 - the Inglis Memorial Hall was gifted
to the village by Colonel Robert Inglis.
1901 - a cottage was built for the caretaker
of the Castle, now used as a visitor
1932 - the walled garden passed into state
1935 - the Castle passed into state care,
now maintained by Historic Environment
Scotland, open to the public year-round.
1940s - RAF Edzell was opened 1 mile east
for military aircraft during World War Two.
1960 - RAF Edzell was leased to the United
1964 - the railway at Edzell was closed.
1997 - the Airfield at Edzell was