The image top is of St Peter's Catholic
Church on Craignair Street built in 1814. This
is the oldest post-Reformation Roman Catholic
church in Galloway. There is a large Celtic
Cross at the church tower that serves as a war
Church is situated close to St Peter's on
Craignair Street, with this church built in
1880 as a Church of Scotland.
The Birchtree Hotel is
situated at the top of the High Street with a
bar and restaurant.
The Town Hall is also situated at the top of
the High Street, now used for events and
private functions. The hall was built in the
1890s with local granite, as many other
prominent buildings in the town.
Dalbeattie granite was used for the Docks in
Liverpool, Thames Embankment in London, British
lighthouses, a lighthouse in Sri Lanka, and for
cobbles on Liverpool, London and Manchester
Dalbeattie Centre is at The Cross on the
High Street. This is a public Fountain of
Polished Grey and Pink Granite built to
commemorate Queen Victoria’s Golden Jubilee in
At The Cross is the Kings Arms
Hotel with a bar, lounge/restaurant and a
beer garden. The Cum-Ye-Inn bar is also
situated on the High Street.
The Dalbeattie Museum is
also on the High Street, a local and social
history museum with many displays covering past
industries of Dalbeattie.
Colliston Park with a pond, memorial,
bandstand, and tennis is on the northeast side
of the town, a nice scenic park.
Dalbeattie Golf Club
is situated under one mile north of the town.
This is one of the oldest 9-hole clubs in
Dumfries & Galloway, formed in 1894.
The area has remains of Bronze and Iron Age
Forts with the Dalbeattie Museum holding some
relics from that time.
AD82 - a Roman fort is said to have been in
1650s - first records of a settlement in the
area with the burn used to drive mills.
1780s - the first of the granite quarries
was opened in the area with the stone used for
many of the top building projects throughout
the UK, and also for producing millstones.
1780s - two local landowners, George Maxwell
and Alexander Copland, made land available for
the building of Dalbeattie town on each side of
1793 - a Paper Mill is opened by the