New Galloway village is situated in
Galloway southwest Scotland, 42 miles
northeast of Stranraer, 25 miles west
New Galloway attracts visitors for its
cafes, golf, Loch Ken for water
sports, and three outdoor centre's
Clatteringcshaws, Glentrool and Kirroughtree close by for
walking, biking, and hiking mountains
such as The
Merrick at 2,766 feet. This area is
known as the Galloway Forest Park.
See also a large Click On Map for the
area Top Attractions.
The image top is looking over the park on
the north side of New Galloway.
The image second top is looking down the
The CatStrand is an
Arts Venue, Visitor Centre and Cinema on the
north side of the High Street.
tearoom and gift shop is also on the High
The Cross Keys
Hotel is situated in the middle of the High
Street with rooms and a restaurant.
Kittys Tearoom is also situated in the
middle of the High Street..
The Town Hall is the most notable building
on the High Street, built around 1875. The
New Galloway Town
Hall can be hired for functions and
The New Galloway Golf Club
is situated on the south side of the village.
This is a scenic 9 hole course that leads up
into the hills with great views.
The Kenbridge Hotel is
situated about 1 mile west of New Galloway,
next to the large bridge over the River Ken.
The hotel has a restaurant and campsite.
The Ken Bridge area is good River Fishing
for salmon and trout from July on.
About 4 miles south, on the east side of
Loch Ken, are a number of water sports, holiday
park, and camping. Loch Ken Page.
The area west of New Galloway is popular for
its outdoor attractions such mountains, biking
/ walking centre's, and the 18 mile long
A712 Queens Way
road between New Galloway and Newton
Stewart with a Robert the Bruce battle
site, dam, scenic otter pool, deer park, goat
park, waterfalls, hill monument, and a viewing
platform over a glen. Queens Way
New Galloway History
1200s - Kenmure Castle
is built and a number of small settlements are
in the area.
1568 - the Gordon's of Kenmure Castle
supported Mary Queen of Scots, leading to the
castle being burned after she fled to
1600s - the village was founded by John
Gordon - Viscount of Kenmure.
1633 - the village is granted Royal Burgh
status so it could serve as a market town,
becoming the smallest Royal Burgh in
The Old Edinburgh Road runs through the
village, creating much of the trade for the
village at that time, as it was used for
driving cattle south.
1650 - the Gordon's supported Charles I
during the English Civil War, leading the the
castle being burned by troops of Oliver
1715 - the 6th Viscount was beheaded after
taking part in the Jacobite Rising.
1790 - Kenmure Castle was in ruins.
1822 - Kells Parish Church is completed on
the north side of the village.
1840s - Kenmure Castle was rebuilt as a