Uig is a Village in the northwest area of
the Isle of Skye, 47 miles northwest of the
Bridge, 15 miles northwest of Portree.
The Village is popular for the Isle of Skye
Brewing Company, Uig Pottery, Ferries to
Tarbert on the Isle of Harris, walk to the
Fairy Glen, and
short walk to the Falls of Rha on
the River Rha.
Click on Map for area Attractions
List . Campsite
Camping & Touring Parks in
The top images are from the road up from the
south looking down on Uig Pier and of Uig
Uig Tower was built in 1860 for the area
landowner, Major William Fraser, known for
taking part in the Highland
The Uig Hotel is in the
centre of Uig looking down Uig Bay.
Uig Church of Scotland is next to the Uig
Hotel, built around 1860.
The Ferry Inn is a
short distance past the Church, an 1800s
refurbished Inn with Restaurant, Bar and
The Ferry Terminal
is on the west side of Uig for Ferries to
Tarbert on the Isle of Harris.
The crossing takes about 1 hour 40 mins with
one or two Crossing each way per day.
The Uig Ferry is named MV Hebrides,
that entered service in 2001 capable of
carrying 90 cars and 612 passengers.
The Isle of Skye Brewing
Company is by the Pier. The Brewery opened
in 1995 with a shop selling their Beer and
The Uig Restaurant &
Bar overlooks the Pier.
The Uig Memorial is by the Pier with seating
The Uig Tearoom with Caravans is by the
Uig Pottery is
by the Pier with a wide range of Pottery with
Isle of Skye themes.
Just south of the Pier is the Uig Bay Campsite, with
Pitches for Tents, Tourers, and Caravans.
1500s? the area was controlled by Clan
MacDonald who owned the Kilmuir Estate.
1812 - the Road between Uig and Portree was
1831 - the Uig Hotel was built as a Coaching
1840 - the Pier was built for Steamers to
run between Uig and Tarbert on Harris, and
Lochmaddy on North Uist.
1840s? - the Ferry Inn was built.
1855 - Major William Fraser bought Kilmuir
Estate by Uig from MacDonald's. Fraser was
accused of being involved in the Highland
Clearances, forcing Crofters off their land to
make way for large scale Sheep Farming.
1860 - Major William Fraser had the Uig
Tower built overlooking Uig, the last people to
live in the Tower left in the 1960s?
1860 - Uig Church of Scotland was built.
1884 - Fraser attempted to evict a Family
during a Rent Strike, leading to a Rebellion in
the Area. The Government sent Naval Ships to
Uig with Police and Marines tasked with Putting
Down the Strike. The Family remained in their
Home with the help of their Supporters.
1963 - the new Pier and Terminal were built
for a Car Ferry, the second named MV
1985 - the Ferry named MV Hebridean
Isles began operating out of Uig capable of
carrying 68 cars and 507 passengers.
2001 - the third Ferry to use the name
begins operating out of Uig capable of carrying
90 cars and 612 passengers. Ferries History.