1250 - a Castle was built on a Man Made
Island on Loch Earn for Clan MacNeish, known as
1300s - St Fillans
Chapel was built between the Village and
Dundrum Hill, named after an Irish Saint that
lived here around the 700s. This Chapel is the
Ancestral Burial Ground for the Stewart's of
Ardvorlich, an Estate on the southwest side of
1300s - Clan Drummond had acquired a large
Estate 13 miles east of St Fillans, where they
built the large Drummond Castle. This Clan
would later invest in the building of St
1612 - the MacNabs attacked Neish Island,
killing the Chief and most of the Clan
1810 - Sir Walter Scott's poem The Lady of
the Lake was released about the area, leading
to Tourism in the area.
1817 - the Drummond's from Drummond Castle
were building up the Village, re-naming it St
Fillans, with a small Inn built that year.
1842 - Queen Victoria visited the area,
leading to more Tourism.
1856 - St Fillans Free Church was built.
1870s - the St Fillans Inn was re-built into
the large Drummond Hotel, now the Loch Earn
Brewery & Hotel.
1878 - Dundrum Parish
Church was built in St Fillans.
1901 - the Railway reached St Fillans,
1903 - St Fillans Golf Course opened.
1951 - the Railway closed.
1957 - A Hydro-electric
Power Station was opened on west side of
1964 October - The Beetles pop group stayed
at the Four Seasons Hotel for 2 nights,
spending hours Boating on Loch Earn. The
Beetles were on a Scottish Tour,
flying into Prestwick Airport then playing in
Dundee, Edinburgh and Glasgow. Full Story.
2005 - the Free Church was converted to a
For more History visit this Website