The Village is named after the Highbridge
built in 1736 by General Wade as part of his
Military Road between Fort William and
Inverness. The Road Bridge seen today was built
by Thomas Telford in 1819.
Spean Bridge History
1736 - General Wade built the Highbridge
about 1 mile down River from the Village, there
are ruins that can be seen today.
1745 - the Highbridge
Skirmish was the first engagement of the
Rising that began that year with Bonnie
Prince Charlie trying to gain the throne of
Great Britain for his father the Catholic,
James Francis Edward Stuart. Jacobite's claimed
Stuart had a greater claim to the throne than
the Protestant George II.
1746 April - the Jacobite's were defeated at
the Battle of Culloden by
Inverness, the last major Battle on the UK
1819 - the Road Bridge was completed at
Spean Bridge to designs of Thomas Telford.
There is a Pool below the Bridge popular for
Swimming in summer. Large
1840s - water powered Woolen Mills were
being built throughout Scotland, not sure when
the Spean Bridge Mill was built.
1894 - Spean Bridge Train
Station opened on the line that runs
between Glasgow and Fort William. There is now
a Restaurant at the Station.
1904 -the original Speen Bridge Golf
Course opened but was closed around the
time of World War One.
1942 - Achnacarry
Castle and Estate 7 miles north of Spean
Bridge was used to train Commandos during the
Second World War. These were top Soldiers hand
picked to carry out raids against
German-occupied Europe. There is information
about this at the Spean Bridge Train Station
where the Commandos arrived in Trains.