The images top are of Selkirk Market Cross,
Selkirk Town Hall where the Old Courtroom
Museum is situated, and a Statue of Sir Walter
Scott in front. The Town Hall was built in
1804, and Statue of Sir Walter Scott erected in
Sir Walter Scott worked as Sheriff at the
Courtroom for about 30 years, until his death
The Old Church is around from the Courtroom
on Kirk Wind, right in the top image. Many
Scottish Kings hunted in Selkirk Forest and
held Parliaments here. William Wallace was
proclaimed Guardian of Scotland at the Auld
Kirk in March 1298.
The High Street runs north from the
Courthouse to the Parish Church built in 1880,
and the Victoria Halls.
Just before the Parish Church is the Mungo
Park Monument. Mungo Park was
from the Selkirk area, famous for exploring
Africa in the 1790s.
The Victoria Halls,
built in 1895, is now used for Live Music and
At the front of the Victoria Hall is the
Battle of Flodden Monument, erected in 1913 to
honour the only survivor of 80 Selkirk men who
fought alongside King James IV at the Battle of
The Battle of Flodden took place in 1513, 31
miles east of Selkirk at Flodden Field.
This was a heavy defeat for the Scots, with the
King killed in Battle along with many
Club, founded in 1883, is 1 mile south of