Kingsbarns is a Village in the Fife
area of Scotland, 55 miles north of
Edinburgh, 7 miles south of
Kingsbarns is popular for its Beach on
the southeast side of the Village, top
Links Golf Course 1 mile south, Cambo
Estate Gardens 1
mile south, open for visits much of the
year with a Cafe, Kingsbarns Whisky
Distillery under 2 miles
south with Tours, Shop, Cafe, and now Gin
Tours as well.
The Fife Coastal
Path here is 7 miles north to St
Andrews, 3 miles south to Crail.
See also a large Click On
Map for the area Top Attractions.
Camping & Touring
Parks in the area.
The image top is of the Square at Kingsbarns
with the Parish Church,
mainly built in the 1700s, with the earliest
parts from the 1600s.
The Square gives the impression the Village
is larger than it actually is, probably laid
out at a time the Village was expected to grow
into a larger Town, which is now happening with
many new homes being built on the west
The Inn at Kingsbarns is
next to the Square. This is a former 1700s
The Cottages at Kingsbarns are like the
Cottages at Luss on the banks of Loch Lomond,
probably built in the 1700s for Estate
Kingsbarns Beach is on the southeast side of
the Village, a long sandy Beach with a Snack
Club is about 1 mile south of the Village.
This course was opened in 2000 as one of the
top Links Courses in Scotland, and one of the
Golf has been played at Kingsbarns from
1793, with the first Course being converted
back to farm land, and the second Mined to stop
Germans from landing there during World War
Two, soon becomming the least popular Golf
Course in the world, for obvious reasons.
Gardens with a Cafe is situated about 1
mile south of Kingsbarns. You can visit the
Gardens most of the year.
House was built in the 1700s, home to the
Kingsbarns Distilly opened in 2014 in
a converted Farm Steading on the Cambo Estate,
under 2 miles south of Kingsbarns. The first
Bottles of Kingsbarns Single Malt Whisky were
sold in 2019.
The Kingsbarns Distillery has a Shop, Cafe,
and offers a number of Tours with Tastings, now
also making Gin with Gin Tours as well.
1100s - Cambo Estate to the south of
Kingsbarns was awarded to Robert de Newenham by
King William the Lion.
1100s - Pitmilly Estate to the North of
Kingsbarns was owned by the Hay Family.
The Village of Kingsbarns would no doubt
have evolved through workers on the Estates and
1630 - the first Parish Church was built at
the Village Square. That Church was rebuilt in
the 1700s and 1800s to what can be seen
1668 - Sir Charles Erskine bought Cambo
Estate, with the earliest parts of Cambo
Mansion House built soon after.
1793 - Kingsbarns Golfing Society was formed
with their course on Cambo Estate.
1810 - a Pier was built at Kingsbarns for
boats to transport food such as Grain and
Potatoes to England. Little remains of that
1850 - Kingsbarns Golf Course was returned
1887 - the Railway reached Kingsbarns,
linking the Village to St Andrews to the north
and Crail to the South.
1922 - Kingsbarns Golf Club was founded with
a nine-hole course designed by Willie
1939 - Kingsbarns Golf Course was Mined to
prevent the Germans landing during World War
Two, the end of that Golf Course.
1940s - Pitmilly House was used for the
Women's Royal Naval Service during World War
1950s - Pitmilly House was converted to a
1965 - the Railway at Kingsbarns closed.
1967 - Pitmilly House
Hotel was destoryed by Fire. The Hotel had
been abandoned a few years earlier, with Guests
claiming it was haunted.
2000 - Kingsbarns Golf Links was opened on
Cambo Estate, designed by Kyle Phillips. This
course has since held the Dunhill Links
Championship, and Women's British Open in
2014 - Kingsbarns Distillery and Visitor
Centre opened on the Cambo Estate.