The image top is Forres War Memorial by
Bridge Street, 200 yards downhill from the west
end of the High Street. Next to the Memorial is
Castle Park Gardens with the Thomson
Memorial unveiled in 1857, commemorating
the Crimea War.
The second image is of St Laurence
Church on the High Street, completed in
1906, on the site of earlier Churches dating
back to the 1200s.
The Tolbooth is in
the centre of the High Street with the Market
Cross in front. The Tolbooth was completed in
1839 to serve as a Court and Jail, now used as
The Market Cross was erected in 1844, on the
base of a much earlier Market Cross.
The Falconer Museum
is on Tolbooth Street, just off the High
Street, a Free Museum giving information on
Forres through the centuries, including
Artifacts from Pre-History.
Grant Park is at the east end of the High
Street, with award winning Flower Beds,
Cricket, Kids Play, and Nelson's Tower on top
of Cluny Hill by at the Park.
was completed in 1812 in honour of Admiral
who died at the Battle of Trafalgar in 1805.
Each floor has information on Nelson and the
top gives great views over Forres and north to
Findhorn Bay and Village. The Woodland Path up
to the Tower is fairly steep, taking about 20
minutes to walk. Free entry with donations
is at the north side of Forres, continue
straight up the High Street and Victoria Road
until signs show the road into the Stone.
This is the largest surviving carved Pictish
Stone in Scotland, about 23 feet / 7 metres
high, said to have been created in the 800s. A
Glass Structure was built around the Stone in
the 1990s to prevent further Erosion.
Club is on the south side of the Town,
founded in 1889.
Benromach Distillery is on the north
side of Town with a Visitor Centre, easily
found by its tall Chimney. This Distillery was
founded in 1898, producing Malt Whisky from 10
to 50 years old.
Dallas Dhu Distillery
is 2 miles south of Forres. This Distillery now
serves as a Museum, as it stopped producing
Whisky in 1983.
Brodie Castle is 4 miles west,
built for Clan Brodie from the 1500s, opened to
the public since the 1980s.
800s? - Sueno's Stone was carved and erected
at Forres by the Picts.
800s - a Royal Castle had been built at
Forres to help control the area, claimed to
have been for Kenneth
McAlpine, first King of united Scotland.
Before this time, Scotland was split into many