Falkland Palace is situated in the
scenic village of Falkland, 37 miles
north of Edinburgh, 20 miles southwest of
The Palace can be visited most of the
year. It is closed in winter from 1st
November to the end of February.
There is an entrance fee to explore
the Palace. Postcode: KY15 7DA
See also a large Click On
Map for Top Attractions in the area.
The image top is from Falkland village High
Street looking towards Falkland Palace and
entrance. The Palace was built from the early
1500s for Kings James IV and James V. The
Palace was built around an earlier Castle from
the 1200s. This is one of five Royal Palaces in
The image second top is of the Palace
Chapel. Third top is of the Tapestry
The Library and Old Kitchen are in the main
section of the Palace.
The Tower House contains the Kings and
Queens bedrooms from the time they used the
Just outside the Tower is a large Chess Set
in the gardens.
The Gardens are a nice peaceful place to
spend some time. These were originally laid out
in 1451 with them being re-designed in the
1940s by Percy Cane.
The Royal Tennis Court is at the bottom of
the gardens. This was completed in 1541.
Falkland Palace History
1100s - a hunting lodge is situated where
Falkland Palace is today.
1200s - the hunting lodge was extended into
a castle for the Earls of Fife/Clan
1337 - Falkland Castle was destroyed by
English forces during the Second War of
1371 - the rebuilt castle passed to the
Duke of Albany
/ Robert Stewart.
1402 - Robert imprisoned his nephew and
rival to the throne David, Duke of Rothesay,
the eldest son of King Robert
III, in the Well Tower at Falkland. The
imprisoned Duke died from neglect and
starvation. The Duke of Albany died in 1420
without becoming king of Scotland.
1430s - construction of the Royal Palace
inside the large fortress of Edinburgh
Castle begins. This is a fairly small
Palace but secure inside the castle walls.
1503 - James IV completed the large Linlithgow
Palace by Edinburgh as the Scots Royals
largest Palace. This was a country Palace with
1501 to 1541 - Kings James IV and James V
transformed the old castle at Falkland into a
Royal Palace. This Palace and vast surrounding
forest was popular with Royals for falconry,
hunting deer, and wild boar.
Falkland Palace was built in French
renaissance style with a Royal Tennis Court
added in 1541, the oldest in Britain with it
still being used today.
1540 - James V had a Palace built inside the
large fortress of Stirling
Castle, although not as large as Linlithgow
or Falkland, it was more secure being inside
the castle walls.
1542 December 8th - Mary Queen of Scots,
daughter of James V is born at Linlithgow
Palace by Edinburgh.
1542 December 14th - James V died at
Falkland Palace after his army's defeat at the
Battle of Solway
Moss in November that year. This battle was
between the forces of James V and Henry VIII of
England over Henry wanting James to change from
Catholic to Protestant.
1543 January 4th - the Kings body was
transferred to Holyrood Abbey
in Edinburgh to be buried.
- 2nd Earl of Arran - then ran Scotland for the
infant Mary Queen of
Scots who was being raised in France.
1561 - Mary returned from France to take
control of Scotland herself. She spent quite a
lot of time at Falkland Palace playing tennis
1603 - England and Scotland merged with the
son of Mary, James VI becoming King of both
1607 - Linlithgow Palace by Edinburgh begins
to fall into ruin.
Even though all Kings lived in London from
that time, Kings James VI, Charles I, and
Charles II all visited Falkland Palace.
1652 - the Palace was occupied by troops of
Oliver Cromwell during the Second English
Civil War. Cromwell took control of Britain
at that time having King Charles I beheaded.
Cromwell's troops accidentally set fire to the
Palace, causing extensive damage.
1678 - Holyrood Palace was completed to
serve as the Royals home in Edinburgh.
1887 - John
Crichton-Stuart, 3rd Marquis of Bute bought
Falkland and began a 20-year restoration of the
1890 - the Victorian glass house was built
to grow flowers and exotic plants.
1940s - Percy Cane re-designed the
1952 - Major Michael Crichton Stewart
allowed the National Trust for Scotland to take
care of the Palace so the Palace and grounds
could be opened to the public as a tourist
attraction to help pay for the upkeep.
1970 - Falkland was made Scotland’s first
The ruins of Linlithgow Palace are now a
museum, the Palace at Stirling Castle is a
museum, the palace at Edinburgh Castle is a
museum, and Holyrood Palace in Edinburgh serves
as a museum when the Queen is not staying