logo image


RS Home

Connel is a small village situated 92 miles northwest of Glasgow, 5 miles northeast of Oban on the main Glasgow to Oban A85 road.

The village is popular for its bridge across the mouth of Loch Etive with the Falls of Lora below the bridge. Each high tide, leads to sea water rushing in over a rock shelf, then hitting the loch water flowing out to sea, creating tidal rapids. These rapids attract top Canoeists, and Rescue Boats on training exercises. Rapids Canoe Images

For Images on Mobile swipe right

Connel Map 14 Large Images
Hotels Shops Self Catering
B&Bs   Restaurants

Click On Map for area Attractions

Camping & Touring Parks in area

The image top is from the south side of the small village of Connel with Connel Bridge crossing the mouth of Loch Etive. This bridge was completed in 1903 for the Callander and Oban Railway's line that ran from Connel 28 miles north to Ballachulish.

The Connel Bridge was converted from a rail bridge to road traffic in 1966.

There is a car park and seating area by the bridge, across the road from the Oyster Inn. The best time to be here is at high tide when the sea water is at its highest pushing against water from Loch Etive, creating the Falls of Lora.

If you are lucky, you may see canoeists taking on the rapids, or rescue boats training. Canoes on the Rapids Images.

Although the train line north to Ballachulish closed in 1966, there is still a station at Connel for the Glasgow to Oban trains.

Connel History

1600s late - a village grew around the ferry that was operated across the loch. At that time, the village was known as Connel Ferry.

1880 - a railway station was opened at Connel by the Callander and Oban Railway. This line has a number of stations at scenic small villages on the road up from Glasgow to Oban such as Crianlarich, Tyndrum, Taynuilt, and Connel.

1888 - St Orans Church in Connel was completed in Gothic Revival style.

1894 - the large Falls of Lora Hotel was completed.

1903 - a train line was completed between Connel and Ballachulish by Glencoe 28 miles north.

Some trains on this line would carry cars across the loch.

1914 - Connel Bridge was converted so trains and cars could travel across.

1966 - the Connel to Ballachulish train line was closed leading to Connel Bridge being converted for cars and pedestrians, a good spot to look down on the Tidal Rapids.

Today, the village is a popular stop for lunch at the Hotel or Inn. The Hotel, Inn, B&Bs and Self Catering properties at Connel are also a good base for exploring the many attractions in the area, and for trips to the Western Isles.

Connel is a quieter base than the bustling Ferry Port town of Oban 5 miles south.

RS Home


Connel Photos