Cockburnspath is a Village in southeast
Scotland, 36 miles southeast of Edinburgh, 9
miles south of Dunbar.
Cockburnspath is popular as the start or end
of the Southern Upland
Way walking route, that runs between
Cockburnspath on the east coast to to the
scenic fishing village of Portpatrick
on the west coast of Scotland, 214 miles /344
km in distance. Route Map.
Click On Map for area
Camping & Touring Parks in
The image top is of the Market Square in
The second image is of the Market Cross.
Cockburnspath Parish Church built from the
1500s is situated just off the Market
The War Memorial and Southern Upland Way
information board are just down from the Market
Square next to the main road.
Cove is a Hamlet on the coast, 1 mile west
of Cockburnspath, where the Southern Upland Way
reaches the coast. The walking route starts at
Cockburnspath, goes to Cove, down the coast for
a short distance, then west towards
There is also a 10 mile Walking Route
between Cockburnspath and Dunbar following the
1503 - the Market Cross was erected by King
James IV to celebrate his marriage to Margaret
Tudor, sister of King Henry VIII of England.
The King gifted land in this area to Margaret,
hoping that would lead to long lasting peace
between Scotland and England.
1513 - James IV invaded England in an
attempt to help France who were at war with
England. James IV was killed at the Battle of
Flodden that year with around 10,000 of his
1500s - the earliest parts of Cockburnspath
Parish Church were built.
1614 - the Burial Aisle is at the east end
of the Parish Church was built by the laird,
1650 - the Round Tower was built onto the
1800s - the Parish Church was mostly
1846 - the Railway Station was opened at
Cockburnspath by the North British Railway on
the line that runs between Edinburgh and
1953 - the Train Station at Cockburnspath
1993 - the AI main road between Edinburgh
and Newcastle was diverted past the Village,
leading to few people, other than walkers,