1727 - Portessie became a Fishing Station
with 5 houses built for the Fishermen. Other
small Fishing Stations soon followed in the
1773 - Letterfourie
House was built by Robert Adam for the
Gordon family of Cluny, landowners in the area,
about 3 miles inland from Portessie.
1800s - the Town of Buckie was laid out
above the Fishing Stations by the Gordon family
of Letterfourie House. Cluny Square was named
after the Land owned by the Gordon's.
1857 - St Peters Church was completed,
followed by All Saints Church in 1876, and
North Church in 1879.
1877 - much of the large Harbour seen today
was built by the Gordon's, named Cluny Harbour.
This was a time Fishermen were using Sail Boats
to catch the Fish.
1886 - the Railway reached
Buckie, a time Fishing was a huge industry,
with Trains used to transport Fish around the
1900s early - Powered Fishing Boats began
entering service, allowing the Buckie Fishermen
to begin fishing further out into the North
1960 - there were about 100 Fishing Boats
working out of Buckie. This was a time Quotas
were being introduced to try and prevent the
Over Fishing of certain Fish.
1968 - the Railway Station at Buckie was
2000s - many Fishing Boats were
Decommissioned after Quotas were introduced on
most Fish caught in the North Sea.
2000s - Squid Fishing from Buckie and other
Moray ports increased with good stocks of Squid
in the Moray Firth.
With Fish Stocks now said to be under
control, the most sought after Fish in the
Moray Firth and North Sea are Herring,
Mackerel, Cod, Whiting, Coalfish, Plaice, and
Sole. Shelfish landed are Shrimp, Lobster, Crab