British Golf Museum St Andrews
The British Golf Museum is situated next to
the Royal and Ancient Golf Club at St Andrews
Old Course, in the centre of St Andrews
The Museum can be visited all year with an
entrance fee. Postcode: KY16 9AB
Click On Map for area Attractions
Camping & Touring Parks in
The image top is from the first tee at the
Old Course at St Andrews. The clubhouse at the
Old Course is known as the Royal and Ancient
The image second top is of the cafe / diner
in the museum with good views down the first
hole at St Andrews Old Course.
The museum covers golf from today back to
when it was played at St Andrews in the 1400s,
said to be where golf as we know it today was
960s - Royals from China hit balls into
holes with clubs.
1200s - a golf like game was being played in
the Netherlands with sticks and leather
1400s – golf is played in Scotland with hand
made wooden clubs and wooden balls.
1502 – the first professionally manufactured
wooden golf clubs are made for King James IV of
1618 - the Featherie golf ball was
introduced made of leather stuffed with goose
1750 - the first golf clubs with iron heads
are made that were not popular as they wore out
the expensive Featherie golf ball too fast.
1848 - The Guttie ball was invented by Rev.
Adam Paterson made from dried sap of the
Malaysian sapodilla tree. The sap had a
rubber-like feel that was made round by heating
and shaping in a mold. These balls were less
expensive so allowed more people to play the
The Guttie ball was heavier than the
Featherie so clubs had to be made stronger.
1860 - the first Open Championship is played
at Prestwick Golf Club in Ayrshire
with Willie Park Sr beating Old Tom Morris by
two shots. The first 12 Opens were played at
1873 - The Open is played at St Andrews for
the first time with Tom Kidd winning.
The Open is now held at Carnoustie, Royal
Portrush, Royal St George's, St Andrews, Royal
Birkdale, Muirfield, Royal Liverpool, Royal
Lytham and St Annes, Royal Troon, and
Courses that used to host The Open are
Prestwick, Prince's, and Royal Cinuque
1898 – the wound golf ball was created made
up of a rubber core with strands of elastic
wound around the core then covered with a
1900s early – dimples were added to golf
balls to give more control.
1929 – first metal shafted clubs are
1939 - R&A introduced it's 14 club
1962 - fiberglass shafts were introduced but
were not popular as they often cracked.
1970 - the first graphite shafts were
produced, becoming the shaft of the future.
1970 - Jack Nicklaus wins The Open at St
1972 - the first modern two piece balls were
introduced by Spalding with a solid rubber core
covered in plastic giving greater distance.
Many professionals continued to use
balatawound rubber core balls claiming they had
1974 - first aluminum woods are
1978 - Jack Nicklaus wins The Open at St
1980s - first cavity back irons are
1980s - fist titanium woods are
1984 - Seve Ballesteros wins the Open at St
1990 - Nick Faldo wins The Open at St
1991 - Callaway's over sized Big Bertha
driver was introduced, first of the much larger
1995 - John Daly won The Open at St
2000 - Tiger Woods won The Open Championship
at St Andrews playing with Nike
solidconstruction balls, leading to most
professionals changing from balatawound to
2005 - Tiger Woods won The Open at St
The latest trend is woods with titanium
heads and graphite shafts which are