Biggar is a town in South Lanarkshire,
southeast Scotland, 30 miles southwest of
Biggar is popular for its Gasworks
the south side of town with Burnbraes
Park with a Kids Play next to the
Gasworks. In the town centre are Biggar
Exchange Theatre, Biggar & Upper
and Albion Trucks Museum.
The Puppet Theatre
Park are on the northeast side with
the park having Golf, Putting, Bowls,
and a Pond full of friendly Ducks.
Castle for Meals and Afternoon Tea is
3 miles south, and Carmichael
Visitor Centre with a Bistro/Cafe,
Walks, Wax Models, and Farm Shop 7 miles
Click On Map for area
Touring Parks in area
The image top is of the Biggar War Memorial
and Cross Keys Inn on the southwest end of the
High Street, a few hundred yards from the Town
The Gasworks Museum
is a short walk up Gas Works Road behind the
Cross Keys. This was the first small town
Gasworks in Scotland, built in the 1830s,
making Coal Gas for
use in the Town. Biggar was one of the last to
close in 1973, after less expensive North Sea
Gas was piped all around the UK in the late
1960s - 1970s.
Up past the Gasworks Museum is Burnbraes
Park with a Kids Play area.
Biggar Kirk is
just north of the Town Centre, up Kirkstyle,
with a number of Church buildings in the Towns
most scenic area. The Kirk was completed in
1546 on the site of an earlier Church from the
Across the road from the Kirk is the Moat
Park Church, built in 1865. This church was
used as a Heritage Centre from 1988 until its
contents were moved to the Biggar and Upper
Clydesdale Museum that opened on the High
Street in 2015.
Biggar Town Centre is wide with the High
Street and two minor Streets on each side with
parking. There is a good selection of local
shops, hotels/diners, and cafes.
The Crown Inn is in
the centre of the High Street with outdoor
The Elphistone Hotel is at
the top of the High Street, built in the 1600s?
Biggar Corn Exchange
is on the other side of the High Street, built
in 1861. This building was refurbished in 2010
with it now used as a Cinema, Entertainment
Venue, and for Public Events.
The Biggar and Upper
Clydesdale Museum opened in 2015, a short
walk up the High Street from the Corn Exchange.
Many of the Exhibits used to be on show in the
Moat Park Church from 1988 to 2015.
The Biggar Museum covers the area for
Pre-History, Copper & Bronze Age 2,000 BC,
Romans in the 300s, Moat and Bailey Castles in
the 1100s, the Fleming's from the 1200s most
powerful family in the area that had links to
Robert the Bruce and later Mary Queen of Scots,
1800s industry, and 1800s and 1900s shops laid
out as if they were still operating.
The Biggar Puppet
Theatre is on the northeast side of the
Town, on the road that leads to the Golf Course
and Public Park.
Club was founded in 1895.
Park is next to the Golf Club with Putting,
Tennis, Lawn Bowling, Pond full of friendly
Ducks, Art Sculptures, and a Touring and Camping
is 3 miles south of Biggar in a country Estate.
You can visit for Meals or Afternoon Tea. The
Castle was built in 1851 for William Handyside
and transformed to a Hotel in 1998 by Mr and
Mrs Fraioli. Castle