The image top is of Ballater Train
Station, opened in 1866, closed in 1966,
now a Museum and Information Centre.
The Old Station has an area reffered to as
Queen Victoria's waiting room, with a Replica
Royal Carriage. Queen Victoria bought Balmoral
Estate in 1852, with Balmoral Castle being
built by 1856.
This led to Ballater Train Station being
used by Royals traveling up to Balmoral Castle.
Royals from around the World would also use
Ballater Train Station when visiting Balmoral,
also, most Prime Ministers have visited in
summer, leading to an increase in Tourism,
people hoping to see famous people shopping in
Station is next to the Train Station, now
with Electric Bikes for Hire.
Ballater Centre is about 200 yards southeast
of the Train Station, with Glenmuick Church at
Church Green, built in 1874 to replace a
smaller Church from the 1780s.
Ballater Fountain is in front of Glenmuick
Church, erected in 1884 in honour of Lieutenant
Colonel Farquharson. The Farquharson's were
credited with building Ballater from the
The Royal Bridge at Ballater is about 300
yards southeast of the Village centre, crossing
the River Dee. The first Stone Bridge here was
bult in 1783, swept away by a Flood in 1789.
The second Bridge was built by Thomas Telford
in 1809, swept away by a Flood in 1829. The
Bridge seen today was built in 1885, opened by
Queen Victoria, surviving a great Flood in
December 2015, caused by Storm Frank.
Club is on the south side of the Town,
founded in 1892.
Ballater Caravan Park
is next to the Golf Club, with Pitches for
Tourers and Tents.
Crathie Kirk is
8 miles west of Ballater, at the entrance to
Balmoral Castle. This is the Church used by
Royals when they are at Balmoral, free to visit
with donations encouraged. Queen Victoria laid
the foundation stone for this Church in
Balmoral Castle can be visited from
the 1st April to late July or early August. The
Royals holiday at Balmoral for a few weeks in
1390 - the first Balmoral Castle was built
for Sir William Drummond, 8 miles west of where
Ballater is today.
1539 - Clan Farquharson gained control of
Estate and Castle 15 miles west of