Wanlockhead is a village in south
Scotland, 32 miles north of Dumfries.
The village is popular for being the
highest village in Scotland, highest pub,
lead mine museum, and panning for gold.
The village of Leadhills is 1 mile
northeast, second highest village in
Scotland with the highest railway, now a
See also a large Click On Map for the
area Top Attractions.
The image top is of the road up through the
Mennock Hills to Wanlockhead from the west off
the A76 road from Dumfries. You can also take
the road from the east off the M74 / M6.
The road from the west is one of the most
scenic in Scotland, passing a number of places
used for wild camping and a stream where people
pan for gold. The Scottish Crown Jewels are
made from this gold, and large nuggets can be
The sign at the west side of Wanlockhead
states - Highest Village in Scotland 1531 feet
above sea level.
The top attraction in the village is the
lead mining musem, also with a cafe, tours of
the mine, and miners cottages.
The miners cottages show three different
time periods, from extremely basic to fairly
By the miners cottages is the Wanlockhead
Village Church built in 1848. This church had
been disused since the 1970s. It was sold in
late 2014 to be converted to a house.
By the miners cottages is a Beam Engine
similar to what would have been used in the
mine to pump out water.
The cottages contain a statue of a girl
named Jennie Miller from the area that died in
the hills on a could winter day. One walker in
the area has claimed he met her when he was
lost in the hills.
The Wanlockhead Inn is situated by the
museum, highest pub in Scotland, serving meals
and drinks throughout the day.
The gardens in the village were created in a
mining theme, an exceptionly scenic spot on a
Sheep roam around the village and go in
gardens of the cottages, a strange experience
concidering this is southern Scotland.
The Gold Panning
hut is situated behind the museum. There are
water tanks here where you can practice before
going down the stream in search of large gold
tourist found a nugget worth £10,000 in
The Southern Upland
Way passes right through the centre of
Wanlockhead, probably the most scenic section
of this 212 mile walk between the east and west
coasts of Scotland.
100s - the Romans mined lead and other
minerals in this area as they tried to take
control of Scotland.
1200s - these mines were worked in
1680 - the Duke of Buccleuch from Drumlanrig
Castle & vast estate created a
permenant village here with miners cottages and
a lead smelting plant.
The mines produced lead, zinc, copper,
silver and gold. Some of this gold is the
world's purest at 22.8 carats, used to make the
1777 - the village formed a curling
1789 - Robert Burns visited Wanlockhead
where he wrote the poem Pegasus at Wanlockhead,
Pegasus being the name of his horse.
1901 - the Leadhills & Wanlockhead Railway
was opened becomming the highest in Scotland.
The railway connected to the main Carlisle
1939 - the railway closed, leaving just a
short section at Leadhills one mile northeast
as a working railway museum.
1950s - the last of the mines closed due to
1980s - the mines, cottages and library were
converted to a museum.