Torhouse Stone Circle is situated in Galloway
southwest Scotland, 23 miles east of Stranraer, 57 miles
southwest of Dumfries, just off the B733 road, 3 miles
west of Wigtown.
The stones are free to visit.
Map / DG8 9DJ .
Area Click On Map . 7 Large Images .
There is a car park next to the road by the
stones, as seen right.
Torhouse Stone Circle is situated in the Bladnoch
Valley, one of the best preserved monuments in this
area that was an important site during
The 19 stones are in a circle with a line of three
boulders in the centre. Records from 1684 state this
is King Gauldus Tomb.
The stone circle has 19 granite stones about 2ft
to 5ft high, arranged in a circle about 70ft in
diameter. Three of the largest stones in the centre,
are in a northeast to southwest line.
There are another two stones 45 yards
south-southeast, and a row of three stones 135 yards
to the east.
The area is known to have remains of several
burial cairns, with records showing stones from some
were used to build field dykes.
This stone circle is thought to date to the
Neolithic period or the Bronze Age. They are now
cared for by Historic Scotland.