119

<< . >>

NAME

RMS. GEORGIC II

CLASS

LINER

LAUNCHED

NOVEMBER 12th 1931

BUILT

HARLAND & WOLFF / BELFAST / IRELAND

WEIGHT

27,759 TONS

LENGTH

712 FEET

WIDTH

82 FEET

SPEED

18 KNOTS - DIESEL ENGINES - TWO PROPELLERS


Georgic was the last liner built for the White Star Line before they merged with Cunard in 1934. The White Star Line intended this ship to be operated on the Liverpool - New York run alongside her near identical sister ship Britannic while their two larger liners Olympic and Majestic provided a service between Southampton and New York. Georgic’s maiden voyage from Liverpool - New York began June 25th 1932. Following the White Star merger with Cunard, Georgic and Britannic were relocated to the London - Southampton and New York run in 1935. The Cunard/White Star Line continued to operate Georgic on that run until the British Admiralty requisitioned her to serve as a troopship during the Second World War.

Georgic

Her first wartime deployments were to evacuate Allied servicemen from Norway and France and later to transport troops from Canada to the Middle East. Whilst at Port Tewfik/Gulf of Suez in May 1941, a German aircraft attack succeeded in hitting Georgic with two bombs. The extensive damage caused by that attack forced the crew to run Georgic aground to prevent her from sinking. After being salvaged and undergoing temporary repairs, she set out for her builders in Britain to undergo substantial repairs. Georgic put into Harland & Wolff March 1st 1943 and returned to her trooping duties seventeen months later. In 1948, a year after Cunard took full control of the White Star Line; Georgic was returned for conversion back to a passenger liner. Cunard operated her as an emigrant ship between Liverpool - Australia and New Zealand until 1951. From 1951 until Georgic was taken out of service in 1954, she served on the Southampton - New York run. The following months saw her chartered by various companies before finally being laid up at Kames Bay - Isle of Bute/Scotland in December 1955. Georgic was scrapped at Faslane/Scotland the following year.

<< . >>