118

<< . >>

NAME

SS. CONTE DI SAVOIA

CLASS

LINER

LAUNCHED

OCTOBER 28th 1931

BUILT

CANTIERI RIUNITI DEL’ADRIATICO / TRIESTE / ITALY

WEIGHT

48,502 TONS

LENGTH

814 FEET

WIDTH

96 FEET

SPEED

27 KNOTS - TURBINE ENGINES - FOUR PROPELLERS


Conte di Savoia was originally built for the Italian shipping company Lloyd Sabuado. After Mussolini forced the merger of the larger Italian shipping companies in January 1932, Lloyd Sabuado became part of the newly formed Italia Line. Conte di Savoia had been intended to compete against the Navigazione Generale Italiana Line’s 51,062-ton liner Rex. With the two ships entering service within months of each other soon after the merger of the Italian shipping companies, they were used to provide an alternating service between Italy and America. Conte di Savoia set out on her maiden voyage from Genoa - Villefranche and New York November 30th 1932. When approximately 900 miles from the American coast, a high-pressured steam valve blew out creating a hole in her hull below the waterline.

Conti di Savoia

Conti de Savoia began taking on water at such an alarming rate many on board feared she might sink on her maiden voyage. After the crew succeeded in making temporary repairs at sea, Conti de Savoia completed the voyage to New York under her own steam. The Italia Line continued to operate her on that route until Italy entered the Second World War alongside Germany. Following Conti de Savoia’s return from New York in May 1940, she was laid up at the port of Venice. The Italian military operated Conti de Savoia as a transport ship for a short time before returning her to Venice. This turned out to be a dangerous place for a large ship, as during an attack on Venice by British Bombers September 11th 1943; Conti de Savoia was sunk in shallow waters. The Italia Line had her re-floated October 16th 1945 so she could be operated on the Italy - South America emigrant run after repairs. With damage to Conti de Savoia being greater than at first thought, she was scrapped at Monfalcone/Italy in 1950.

<< . >>