Moffat is a town in south Scotland, 44
miles north of Carlisle,
under 1 mile off the A74 / M6 motorway,
21 miles northeast of Dumfries.
The town is popular as a stopping point
for tour buses, shopping, cafe / diners,
golf, walking routes, and hiking
mountains up to 2,755 feet. This is one
of the most scenic towns in Scotland.
See also a large Click On Map for the
area Top Attractions.
Moffat grew around the wool trade and as a
spa town after a mineral spring was found in
1633. The town has the shortest street in
Scotland, narrowest street, and narrowest
The image top is of Station Park on the
south side of Moffat where there is a large car
park. The park has a kids play, pleasure boats
for the lake, and a memorial for Hugh Dowding,
commander of RAF Fighter Command during the
Battle of Britain. Dowding was born at St
Ninian's School in Moffat 1882.
The Moffat Mill is situated on the south
side of town, a popular place for tour buses.
The complex has a great selection of shops,
whisky, clan information, and cafe / diner.
This former woollen mill was converted to a
large shopping venue in the 1970s?
St Andrew's Parish
Church is situated on Churchgate between
the park, Moffat Mill and town centre. This
Church of Scotland was completed in 1887.
The Moffat Museum
is also on Churchgate next to the town centre.
This is a small free museum, a fast way to view
the history of Moffat.
The town centre is a large square with seven
hotels and shops all around. The building with
the clock tower is the Old Jail.
The centre of the square has a statue of a
ram on top of rocks erected in 1875, a symbol
of the towns connection to the wool trade.
The Town Hall also looks over the town
square. This building was built in 1827 as a
Spa Hall. The building was bought by the
council in 1966 for £4, and restored in
Hotel is situated at the top of Moffat
Square. This mansion was built in 1761 by John
Adam for the 2nd Earl of Hopetoun as a family
home. This mansion was converted to the Moffat
House Hotel in 1950.
Well Street runs up between the Old Jail and
Star Hotel. A short walk up Well Street is
Chapel Street, shortest street in Scotland.
The Star Hotel is the
narrowest hotel in the world, and across the
road from the Star Hotel is Syme Street,
narrowest street in Scotland.
Club is situated just over one mile in the
hills above the town with views from the
clubhouse over Moffat.
The Grey Mares Tail waterfalls are situated
10 miles northeast of Moffat. The falls are
about 200 feet at one point.
The falls are on the 2,696ft White
Comb mountain range with water from Loch
Skeen between the mountains feeding the
There are five mountains in a horseshoe
around the loch popular with hikers.
Many people though just hike up to the falls
and loch at around 1,670 feet.
The 2,755ft Broad Law mountain is situated
about 19 miles north of Moffat by the Talla
Reservoir. This is a fairly easy hike as the
car parking is at about 1,450ft up a scary
mountain road. This is the second highest
mountain in southern Scotland after the 2,766ft
miles west at Glentrool in Galloway.
The 212 mile Southern Upland Way
walking route passes close to Moffat, with many
walkers visiting the town.
100 AD - the Romans built a road past Moffat
up into Scotland as they tried to take control
of Scotland. They had a fort close to Moffat
used to control the area.
162 - the Romans withdrew to Hadrian's Wall
along the north of England.
400s - the Romans left the British Isles.
Scottish Kingdoms began merging from this time
until one king ruled all of Scotland.
1000s - King Malcolm III of Scotland and his
sons gained control of all the land close to
what is Scotland today, becoming the first
kings of all Scotland.
Kings from that time used religion and
powerful large families to help gain and
control areas by awarding them large estates
and giving them power over the area.
1160 - the Bruce Clan became Lords of
Annandale controlling the area around Moffat
and to the south. Their castle was at Lochmaben 15
miles south. The Bruce became kings of Scotland
in the 1300s with their descendants being the
The town of Moffat grew around sheep and the
1633 - a mineral spring was found at Moffat,
leading to the town becoming a popular spa
resort with a number of hotels.
1683 - the Black Bull Inn opened close to
the town square. This inn is still open.
1707 - the Act of the Union led to Scotland
and England merging into Great Britain, leading
to safer times. Many castles / tower houses
were replaced by mansions from that time and
trade and tourism between the two countries
From this time the wide Moffat square was
developed with hotels and shops to cater for
the many horse drawn carriages traveling
between England and Edinburgh.
This layout turned out to be ideal for the
many tourists in cars 200 years later with car
parking and seating all around in a scenic open
1760 - the Annandale Arms Hotel is opened on
the town square. This hotel is still open.
1761 - Moffat House mansion was built for
the 2nd Earl of Hopetoun.
1790 - St Andrews Church is completed.
1700s late - the Star Hotel is completed as
the narrowest hotel in the world at just 20
feet wide. This hotel is still open.
1827 - a Spa Hall was opened, that later
became the Town Hall.
1875 - the sculpture of the Moffat Ram was
completed by William Brodie.
1878 - Moffat's 300 room Hydropathic
Hotel was opened on the north side of the
town on Hydro Avenue.
1883 - the railway reached Moffat.
1920 - the War Memorial was erected in the
1921 - the Hydropathic hotel was destroyed
by fire, little remains.
1950 - Moffat House mansion was converted to
1954 - the railway closed.
1966 - the Spa Hall was bought by the
council to serve as a Town Hall.
Today - Moffat attracts many visitors
stopping off when traveling the M74 / M6
motorway between England and Scotland.
Walking and hiking in the area is fast
becoming a top attraction.