Drummond Castle Gardens are situated
21 miles west of Perth, 3
miles south of Crieff.
The Gardens can be visited on Easter
Weekend then from 1st May to 31st
October. Postcode: PH7 4HN
See also a large Click On
Map for Top Attractions in the area.
The image top is of the the entrance to
The second image is from the Castle looking
over the Gardens. Large
These are one of the most impressive gardens
in Scotland with a number of Marble Statues
throughout, Glasshouse and Woodland Walks.
from the Gardens to the Castle.
Drummond Castle History
1490 - John Drummond, 1st Lord Drummond of
Cargill, gained control of these Lands and
built the original Tower House.
1605 - the 4th Lord Drummond was created
Earl of Perth. The Earl extended the
1630s - the 2nd Earl had the first Garden
designed in front of the Castle.
1653 - the Castle was taken by the army of
Oliver Cromwell during the British Civil Wars.
1660 - King Charles II Stuart was restored to the throne of Great Britian, ending the Civil Wars.
1680s - the 4th Earl was Lord Chancellor of
Scotland for King James VII. The Earl began the
building of the Mansion House next to the
Castle at that time.
1689 - the 4th Earl had to Flee to France
after James VII was overthrown in the Glorious
Revolution by his daughter Mary and her Husband
William of Orange.
James VII Stuart was overthrown after
converting to Catholic. This set off the
Jacobite Risings as many people wanted the
Catholic Stuart's returned to the Throne.
1715 & 1745 - the Drummond's supported
the Jacobite Risings.
1746 - the Jacobite's were defeated at the
Battle of Culloden. This was the last
Jacobite Battle with Scots then stopped from
wearing Tartan and owning weapons. Many
Jacobite Clans also had their Properties and
Land taken from them by the State
1750 - Drummond properties were taken by the
1784 - Captain James Drummond, 1st Baron
Perth, bought back Drummond Castle.
1830s - James Drummond's daughter Sarah and
her Husband had the Gardens that can be seen
today laid out.
1842 - Queen Victoria visited the
1842 to 1853 - the upper floors of the tower
house were rebuilt and heightened.
1878 - the mansion was re-designed for the
Drummond's by George Turnbull Ewing.
1950s - the 3rd Earl of Ancaster and his
wife, Nancy Astor, replanted the gardens.
Today - the castle is owned by the 28th
Baroness Willoughby de
Eresby, daughter of James
Heathcote-Drummond-Willoughby, 3rd Earl of