Cruggleton Church is situated in Galloway
southwest Scotland, 34 miles southeast of
Stranraer, 64 miles southwest of
Dumfries, next to the B7063 road. The
map link below is for Cruggleton Farm, with the
church being a few hundred yards south of the
farm. Map / DG8
Area Click On Map . Large
This is is one of many interesting
attractions on the Whithorn peninsular (the
Machars). The drive around is about 45 miles, a
full day if visiting all the attractions.
This small 1100s church is situated in a
wooded copse in the middle of a field, about
100 yards from the main road, where there is a
The church dates to 1125 - 1150, claimed to
be one of the most complete Romanesque churches
Cruggleton Church was built by Fergus, 1st
Lord of Galloway, to serve as a private chapel
for his Cruggleton Castle close by.
Castle is now a ruin, with little left
1890 - the 3rd Marquess of Bute restored the
The church nave measures 35ft by 20ft, and a
chancel 21ft by 15ft.
The nave and chancel are de vided by a
The church is rarely open, with a key kept
at the nearby farmhouse.
You can also walk over the fields towards
the coast to visit the remains of Cruggleton
Castle, sitting on top of the rocks.
The coastal path from Garlieston
port village also leads south to the castle,
about a 3 mile walk.
and Estate are situated about 3 miles north of
the church by Garlieston village. You can see
the house from the road when driving into
Garlieston from the west.
The house was built in the 1740s for Lord
Garlies, sixth Earl of Galloway. The walled
garden was built by French prisoners during the
1930 - the house was sold to Lady Forteviot,
widow of John Dewar, of the Dewar's Whisky
Today - the house is private, but the
gardens can be visited, and there are holiday
cottages on the estate. More information at the