Castle Kennedy & Gardens are situated in
southwest Scotland, 4 miles east of Stranraer, 70 miles
west of Dumfries, off the A75 road, at the
small village named Castle Kennedy.
The gardens with the old castle are open most of
the year for visits with a small entry fee. The
tearoom, gardens, 2 lochs, and estate walks are a
great way to spend an hour, or even a day.
Map / DG9 8SL .
25 Large Images .
Area Click On Map . Website .
The image top is from the driveway looking across
the loch to the new castle from the mid 1800s. This
castle is known as Lochinch Castle, in
Scottish Baronial style. Lochinch Castle is private,
but can be viewed from the estate walks, or booked
The image second top is of the bridge just before
the car park, a nice scenic area.
The car park and tea room are next to the original
Castle Kennedy built in 1607 for John Kennedy, 5th Earl of
The castle passed to James Dalrymple, 1st Viscount
of Stair in 1677.
His son, John 2nd Viscount Stair, is said to have
signed the orders that led to the Glencoe Massacre in
James Dalrymple, 3rd Earl of Stair, began the
construction of the gardens in the early 1700s.
The castle was gutted by fire in 1716, remaining
an impressive ruin to this day.
The tearoom looks over Castle Kennedy, also next
to the walled garden. There are vast landscaped
grasslands around the old castle.
The pond is situated between Castle Kennedy and
Lochinch Castle. You can just see the Lochinch Castle
through the gap in the trees where there is a grass
walk. The grass in this area is about 3 inches deep
and often wet, so waterproof footwear is advised.
The image of Lochinch Castle is from the walk
around the estate. This castle is private, although
can be booked for weddings, and there are estate
cottages available for holidays.
Lochinch Castle was built in the mid 1800s for
John Dalrymple, 10th Earl of Stair. His wife was
Louisa de Franquetot, daughter of the 3rd duc de
The castle is presently owned by John David James
Dalrymple, 14th Earl of Stair, born in 1961, a
politician, now in the House of Lords.
The image right is over one of the lochs named the
Black Lock, with the notice board showing the
wildlife in the area.
The loch on the other side of the estate with a
boat house, is the White Loch